Friday, September 18, 2009

Epiphany

School has been getting me down lately, that is no surprise to anyone who has been keeping up with my blog, but today I realized something that helps this all suck a little less. Ha.

First off, I have been learning SO many lessons lately. Sheesh. Sometimes it is hard to take it all in, and sometimes I would rather not have to be learning these things. But, nonetheless, God is teaching me. Let me share something I have been thinking about tonight.

This year I have come to realize/accept that school is not the single most important thing in the world. School is not what defines me and school is not something that should take all my time, energy and focus (because then it becomes an idol). I came to this realization and used it as an excuse to have fun this semester. That is all well and good, but I have come to realize that there is more to it than that. School is not everything, but, school is where God has me right now. I do not have a family and I do not have a job. School is my "job," so to speak. Although I need to be cautious about making school an idol in my life, I must realize that this is where God has me for the next 3 years, and I need to look at it as my service to Him. School needs to become about glorifying God. For me, that means facing it with a positive attitude. It means not allowing myself to get so discouraged when I am not perfect. It means balancing work and play so that I can keep some of my sanity. It means giving my worries and anxities over to God with each and every day. It also means sacrifice. It means saying no to hanging out with my friends so that I can get what I need to done. It means giving up a Friday night to prepare for a civ test on Monday. It means getting everything done that I need to. It means doing things to the best of my ability (as if to the Lord), and not just doing things to get them done. God has called me to OBU. God has called me to be a student. God has called me to be a nursing major. I need to start treating it as such. I need to treat school as my calling for this time in my life, not just a season I have to suffer through.

With that, it is time that I get to work on my civ studying and physiology reading. I plan on being in bed by 11 tonight so that I can be well rested for tomorrow. Man, God is so good.

2 comments:

Danielle said...

this is awesome. I'm so glad you are learning these lessons! ah. God so good and faithful :)

Oh, and we talked about being content with our circumstances at homegroup! it totally fits.

love you.

Molly R said...

Amen, girl. Thanks for this!!!!!