Sunday, June 28, 2009

Hopeless Romantic.

I watched Pride and Prejudice for the very first time on Saturday. Actually, I watched it twice on Saturday because it was just that good. This is probably my new favorite movie. This also has to be one of the best love stories I have ever seen. I can't get enough. If I wasn't already a hopeless romantic, this movie certainly pushed me over the edge.

In the movie, Mr. Darcy, played by Matthew Macfadyen, is the epitome of the word handsome. He defines tall, dark and handsome. He is so manly and strong, yet he has a soft side to him. He is such an ideal man. I completely fell in love with him during the movie. If only such a man existed in real life... ;).

This movie was set in the late 1700s//early 1800s. To be honest, I wish we still lived in this time period. I love so many aspects of this era. I love the clothes!! I wish we still wore dresses like that all the time. I wish girls still wore corsets, which may sound strange considering how awful the actually are to wear... but hey, beauty is pain ;)! Back in that day women were always so feminine. I wish it were still that way, even though I am among the guiltiest of not dressing much like a lady. I really love the language of that time period. If only we still talked like that! It was so beautiful. I love that men were such gentlemen. They stood when a woman walked into the room. They were so respectful of women. In that time there was no dating, just marriage. How cool! I just love it. Man, I so wish I lived in that time period. How wonderful that would be.

As wonderful as this movie is, I feel as though I am ruined. Between watching Pride and Prejudice and reading Redeeming Love, I now have standards that are going to be very hard to meet. My expectations for love and my future husband are so high. I am definitely an idealist when it comes to love. Sometimes I act really cynical towards the whole idea, but don't be fooled! it is definitely a cover. I want so badly to fall in love. I want a beautiful love story. I realize that I am going to have to change my thinking slightly though. High expectations are good and will help prevent me from settling, but at the same time I can't be totally idealistic... I must throw in a little realism. However, none of this changes the fact that I will always be a hopeless romantic. :)

6 comments:

JCo said...

ha oh love, gag me...
;P

Danielle said...

GAH! I love it. all of it. and I LOVE THAT YOU FOUND THAT PICTURE OF DARCY! holy stinkin moley. it's perf!

oh man. we should watch it on a regular basis. and re-read redeeming love. i'm down! ha.

Erin Lynn said...

I must agree. He is gorgeous. And I actually didn't find him attractive until the end, when his personality really shows through.

HEY, I heard you had a copy of Redeeming Love I could borrow :D:D:D

Erin Lynn said...

Also, I totally agree about going back in time. I SO wish I had the wardrobe (and that it was socially acceptable) and that men understood the concept of chivalry.

Molly said...

Giiiirrrl...

My heart POUNDS at the thought (of Mr. Darcy, getting married, having children, etc.). I'm cursed! :(

I know what you mean about being ruined. Between P&P, Redeeming Love, and my own personal preferences/"pickiness"/high standards and strong opinions about dating in general, I feel as if I'll never get married!

We're such girls :):) I love it!

Bethany said...

I think the man you will eventually marry will excede your expectations in ways you wouldn't expect.

But seriously, I agree!! Any time I watch/read a love story I wish I could have that, and can't wait to get married. And I do wish we lived in the 1800's with the clothes and the culture and the no dating just marriage aspect of life.

And Mr. Darcy is so beautiful.
-Bethany