Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Sophmore Year: And So It Begins

So, I meant to post this last night, but did not get a chance. ha. So, the first part will be about day 1 and 2 back, and the second part will be about my first day of class.

So, it is my second day back at OBU, and I must say, it is all still very surreal to me. I think I am going to just stick with a bulleted list format for my next few posts so that I can organize my thoughts a little better.

  • We made it to OBU in about 7 and a half hours, which was really good time considering that we made a few stops along the way. When we crossed the border and I saw the big Oklahoma sign, my stomach turned a bit. I still don't feel like I am ready to be back here. About and hour and a half or so after we crossed the border we were on campus. It is really strange because you can see the chapel from about 10-15 miles out. Anyway, we pulled up and unloaded. My RA from last year, Kaitlyn, was waiting to greet me with a big hug! That was so needed. She even helped move some of my stuff up to my room. Getting everything unloaded proved to be the easy part.
  • I spent a while yesterday just sitting on the top bunk, staring at all my junk wondering how on earth I was going to unpack it all. Slowly I started unpacking all my clothes and making some progress. My roommate, Casie, and I rearranged all of our furniture and I think I got a nice set up going. I like it. We can always change it later if we need, but so far I am totally satisfied. (I will put pictures up later, rather than trying to describe how it looks).
  • Last night, I decided to be social! I went to my friends Amanda, Kristin and Kacie's house for a little get together. It was pretty chill, but fun. Their house is adorable! It is so exciting. I got to see most everyone from last year, so that was nice. I talked a bit, but I still found myself just observing everyone for a good part of the night. I will work on it, though. It was nice to have some familiarity though. I even caught my friend Parker cuddling with my vera bradely bag. It was unintentional, of course, but still rather funny. I finally got back to my room, but didn't get to bed until 2!
  • When I attempted to sleep last night, I realized that my room was like -50 degrees. Seriously. It is SO cold in here. Plus, our window doesn't close all the way, and my bed is right under it. This means, I can't sleep with my face facing the window, or I will freeze out. Ha.
  • Today, my grandparents took me to Walmart to load up. I bought a tv (yay) and a bunch of other much needed items. I am pretty set, at least for a little while. I then had to go pick up my remaining books from the bookstore and get those put away. Then we went to lunch, and back to Walmart to get the missing screws I needed for my tv stand. It was a pretty busy morning. I then came back to my room and decided to get some more unpacking done! I hung Zach's painting, first and foremost! It was so exciting. I hung up a painting Jessie made me, and my bulletin board with pictures. It is coming together nicely. Ha, but I still have quite a bit to do!
  • I finally got a nap in yesterday! It was so perfect. I love naps.
  • My grandparents took me out for dinner, since they were going to leave in the morning. It was good. I couldn't eat much due to my whole stomach junk, but it was nice. I am so grateful to have my grandparents, especially considering my dad is not someone I have easy access to.
  • After dinner, Kristin, Amanda and I went to Walmart so they could do some grocery shopping for their cute little house! After that, Julian, Lucas and Justin longboarded over and we watched "I Love You Man." I do NOT recommend this movie. It was so crude I could hardly stand it. I need to stop agreeing to watch movies before I know what the movie is. It was fun, but I got back to my room much later than I would have liked. I quickly took a shower (ps: having our own bathroom is so nice) and went to bed.
Now for the first day of classes:
  • I woke up at 7:20 this morning! I got dressed, brushed my teeth and went downstairs to say goodbye to my grandparents. I almost cried, but I didn't it! Ha. I am just going to miss them. They were so good to me this summer. I then came back up to my room and did my quiet time (I really like doing it in the mornings I have decided), fixed my hair, ate some cereal then headed to class.
  • I have physiology with one of my suitmates, so we walked over there together today. My professor (who was also our anatomy professor) grew a beard over summer... it was very strange. All we did in class was go over what the class will entail and such. Our first test is September 11... over 6 chapters! Yikes! Luckily, I don't have lab today :)!
  • I then went to chapel! I saw JG on the way (finally) and got to talk to him a bit. We shared an awkward hug thanks to our backpacks, but it's cool. It was good to see him. He told me a bit about kamp and then we headed to chapel. I started to freak out when I got there because I didn't see anyone I know... then I hear Amanda, Kristin, Kacie, Julian and Lucas shout my name in unison and I was so relieved. Chapel was alright... the best part was that they sang Sing Sing Sing! :) wooo!
  • Next was sociology. That class will be interesting (and controversial), but it is so time consuming. And, all of our sociology tests are the same day as my physiology tests! Ugh.
  • Then it was time for CIV!!! This class lived up to all the horror stories I heard. It is SO much work. I am not ready! Ha. Seriously, I got so overwhelmed. This will be a really long semester. I am really, really nervous about it!
  • The good news of the day: I met this girl named Amy on Monday night when we all got together. She is a sophmore nursing major and just transferred in. We didn't really talk Monday or anything. Well, today I realized WE HAVE ALL THE SAME CLASSES on Monday, Wednesday and Friday (except, she has lab Monday and I have lab Wednesday). We realized this while in Civ and agreed to sit by each other in our classes. We were both really overwhelmed by everything, so she told me "Hey, we can study together... and cry together!" Perf. I am glad to have someone with me. She seems really nice and even talked to me about medical missions today. I am hoping we can become friends!
I am terrified for this year in terms of school. If you would, just pray that God would sustain me and renew my strength. This is going to be a draining semester, mentally, physically and emotionally. I am hope to remain disciplined in my quiet times this semester... which will be much needed!

ps: I REALLY miss home and all of you guys. Just sayin' ;)

1 comment:

Danielle said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.