Wednesday, May 20, 2009

And so it ends...

Well, I never thought this day would come. Seriously. This has been such a long year! You have no idea. But today is my last day at OBU... at least for the summer and my last day as a college freshman. I couldn't be happier. It is no secret how much I want to be home and away from this place!

This year has certainly been an interesting one. It was full of experiences I never though I would have to go through. It has challenged me and changed me in so many ways, and I think I am only beginning to realize a small amount of it. 

This year has been full of a lot of negatives, but I don't want to take the time to dwell on it. Everyone knows about my endless battles with illness and disease, so I feel no need to go into that. Ha. Instead I will focus on some positives of this year. (Such a change for me, ha).

1. My roommate: Courtney has been great. We have gotten along so well. She has been one of my very best (and only) friends at OBU. She is the one person here I feel like I can completely be myself around. I am going to really miss her when she transfers :(!
2. Frontline: This is the church I go to while I am here. It is in Oklahoma City. I absolutely love my church here. It has been a challenge finding a way to get there... and lately I have had to go with all the boys (which really isn't so bad)! This church is just great. There are so many different kinds of people there and I just love worshipping with all of them. Pastor Josh is great. He looks like Chris Daughtry and sounds like Chris Mayfield... it is an interesting combination. I am going to miss this church a lot over summer... but I can't wait to get back to my home church at Northwest! Plus, I can always catch the podcasts.
3. Kaitlyn: She is my RA. I don't know what I would have done without her. I have spent many a nights staying up talking to her and crying or just messing around with her on our hall. It is always so great. We have such a good balance and have become really good friends. She always tries to push me to be optimistic. I hated it the first semester... and parts of this semester, but she has taught me a lot. 
4. James: I am so grateful I knew him coming in to this. He has been a great help to me. He introduced me to his friends, he let me be part of his world, he helped me move in and out and he has been taking me to church the past few weeks... letting me be one of the guys. We still argue pretty much every time we see each other... but I am so blessed to know him!
5. Independence: This is definitely a lesson I had to learn while I was here. I used to be (and can still be) a very dependent person, but being in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma, knowing I rarely get to go home, I had to learn to be on my own and be ok with it. I have learned to handle being alone (since I usually am) and how to do things for myself. It hasn't always been a fun one... but it has been a good lesson to learn! 

OBU is teaching me a lot. I may never like it here, but I have learned to appreciate the things I have learned while being here. But I can't wait to be home!! 

One more final and lots and lots of packing then I get to check out. I will leave tomorrow morning and be home in the evening. I can't wait to get HOME!

2 comments:

Danielle said...

WOOHOOO! I like optimistic Marie! haha. And i'm pretty excited for summer...just sayin ;)

Congrats on the end of freshman year. It only happens once!

Danica said...

YAY for freshman year being over! I can't wait to hang out with you! I miss you so much and I know that you are looking forward to being home! I know you did great on your finals and can't wait to give you hug!!!