Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Cadavers!

Anatomy lab was a little different than normal for me today.

First off, I don't think I bombed the quiz. This is a nice change... especially considering I did not prepare very well this time. Second, today was the first time lab kinda got to me a little bit. We only worked on the male cadaver today. Our task was to dissect the entire posterior region of the body. This was quite the challenge considering it was a fairly tall man. I am talking from the neck to the bottom of the foot. This was the first time I actually did the dissecting. I think the main thing that was so weird was the fact that nothing had been done on the posterior side of the male cadaver. I had to start the incision and cut through all the skin and adipose tissue, without cutting too deep and getting any of the muscle. All in all it was a very weird experience... and very, very tedious. We spent 2 and a half hours and didn't even get everything done. We got to the spine, which was pretty tight to see, and the gluteal region(very weird). The muscles of the back are rather larger compared to the anterior surface, so we found it much easier to identify them. That was tight. However, this job was messier than most. I got bits of adipose tissue(fat) flung up on me a few times. I also leaned into the body a few times only to find my arm dripping with who knows what. It was rather disgusting and I feel I may never get clean! Ha. 

It was not a bad experience, just different than what I personally had to do up until that point. My hands and back were hurting insanely bad when I left. My back was sore from having to bend over the body for 2 and a half hours, and my hands were incredibly sore from extensive use of my scalpel and probe. It was tiring work. I have a new found respect for surgeons! ;)

2 comments:

Molly R said...

blech : P You are more courageous than I! I was always the one in Biology and such who would just "record" what happened when we dissected stuff. I never once touched or came near any of the stuff we dissected. EW.

Danielle said...

((OK, so originally this post was supposed to be written by Turq, but since your blog wouldn't let him post it directly, he asked me to pass along this message...))

Turq: "yea, it's pretty complicated work. that's why they pay me the big dollars!

p.s. rowdy says hello"