Monday, February 1, 2010

Jonas Brother Embarrassment

Today I experienced one of the most embarrassing moments of my life since being in college. However, it was slightly awesome, and definitely a good story. This would be much better if I was able to verbally tell you this story (or if you had actually been there), but seeing as how I don't have the time to call each and every one of you (nor would you want me to), I will do my best to paint the picture of my embarrassing moment.

For my microbiology class, I purchased a Jo Bros folder for storing papers and such. I never thought too much of it, and I often kept it covered by my textbook or lab book. Well, today my friend Julie convinced me to just own it and be proud of my folder. Taking her advice I kind of left it out in the open, but again, I didn't think too much of it. As lab progressed, I went across the table to share the microscope with my friend Amanda as we studied her bacteria (which was pretty cool, btw). Dr. Jett started walking around from table to table making sure we found a good, clear image of our bacteria and such. He got to our table and was answering the question of some other people and stopped mid-sentence, reached over, picked up my Jo Bros folder, help it up to the ENTIRE lab and YELLED: "What is this crap?! The Jonas Brothers?? Seriously?? What are you thinking? You have got to be kidding me! Of all things to bring into my lab, a Jonas Brothers folder!!" Keep in mind, at this point the entire lab, which is 25 students not including me, are staring over at our table as Dr. Jett holds up my folder for all to see. I am BRIGHT red, laughing and crying at this point. I couldn't even speak, much less begin to defend myself. To say that I was mortified was a huge understatement. A few people were laughing right along with me, but I felt like a lot of the crazy smart pre-med students looked down their noses at me. Not even a minute later I got Dr. Jett's attention to ask him a question about our slide. His response?: "I am starting to question YOU based on your music taste! You can bring anthrax into this lab... BUT NOT THE JONAS BROTHERS!" (this, too, was loud enough for all to hear).

Dr. Jett has two younger daughters (probably middle school to early high school age), so I am guessing this is where his Jo Bro hatred stems from. But man, I was SO embarrassed. To top it off, we had a quiz that morning over stuff from chemistry (which is dumb since this isn't a chem class) and I am pretty sure I bombed it (along with everyone else), so my guess is that he is going to have a really high opinion of me now ;).

Funny side note: earlier in lab, I was explaining to my lab group how many of the lines the Jo Bros use in their songs would probably work on me in real life because they are so ridiculously awesome. Examples: "You've got moves, I've got shoes, let's go dancin'." or "Turn right, into my arms; turn right, you won't be alone." etc. etc. They probably wouldn't work on me now, considering I know they are song lyrics, but had I never heard this stuff before, it might actually work. Ha.

At least I will always have a good story from micro...

3 comments:

Andrew said...

While I don't have a folder in her honor, I have had to defend my Taylor Swift fandom about 1,000 times this semester. Officially my least favorite conversation.

Danielle said...

You really should have posted a video of yourself telling this story. That. Would. Have. Been. Awesome.

Still wish I coulda been there :)

Danica said...

Girl...don't be embarrassed. I carry my JoBros AND HSM folders and other stuff with PRIDE! They are awesome and so are you...still wish I could have been there to witness this! I would have stood up for you!! Love you!